Author Topic: Any hope?  (Read 519 times)

Offline thatRABBITdude on: July 31, 2019, 07:41:40 AM

• View Profile
    • Awards
Hello. I came across this game while doing some Google searching for an older game called Tremulous. It's quite obvious that's what this game is based off of. The buildings and creatures have some of the same names as those from Tremulous and even the loading screen is almost identical. Is there any hope at all for this game? Is anything being done with it? I know there was a server update of some kind not too long ago, but is it being advertised or promoted in any way? This game is basically what I've been looking for for a REALLY long time and i would like to see more than the "test" server and some people actually playing it. It has a lot of great potential and would probably make a decent sum from skins for armor, guns, and creatures to keep it "free to play" and continue to afford to update it. It would just be nice to see this game succeed after so many years of enjoyment from the Tremulous community almost 15 years ago. I'm gonna try to get some of my streaming friends to play it with me and maybe get some kind of traffic coming in, but it will be only minuscule, if it works at all. Also, is there a way to run a dedicated server other than through a personal computer? I'm assuming there aren't any websites that do hosting for this game. Just figured I'd ask while I was thinking about it.

Offline Rotacak #1 on: July 31, 2019, 08:36:53 AM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Hi,

thanks for your support.

I hope that there is the hope:

1) Unrealistic: players will start to play it from nowhere and it will become popular.
2) Realistic: I will make money, make the team again and I will start to advertise it. But this will still take time.

Until that I can do only minor updates (I would like to add admin system atleast). Also maybe some AI players could help.

The dedicated server is possible to run anywhere. In the same way like on a server. That should be no problem at all.

Offline thatRABBITdude #2 on: August 01, 2019, 06:32:39 AM

• View Profile
    • Awards
Just out of curiosity, did you have any part in the programming of Tremulous or are you just a fan who wanted to make a similar game? I just thought maybe you had something to do with it since you have a bunch of plush dolls of grangers from Tremulous still for sell even after all of this time. Whatever your connection to the game, I appreciate the effort you've made so far. If it's any consolation, I'm trying to get some friends of mine to get together and play some games. My main goal is to have fun with your game with other people, but also to gather some gameplay footage to put on YouTube and hopefully get some interest in the game. I don't know anything about programming or anything like that, but I'll do what I can to help. I miss Tremulous a lot and would really like to see this game at least get some kind of traffic. So, yea. Thanks again for the game. Even running around by myself as both sides felt like old times.

Edit: By the way, if I host a server, will playing on it with friends effect the gameplay at all? Playing on the test server gives me a ping of over 200 and that's almost as bad as when I played Tremulous on a dial-up modem.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 06:57:28 AM by thatRABBITdude »

Offline Rotacak #3 on: August 02, 2019, 08:26:05 AM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I am just a fan. The plushie is something what "we" (Tremulous players) allways wanted and I created them on the begining when we planned to make same alien visuals.

Sad is that for good gameplay you need atleast about 5 vs 5 players and that is hard to get. Is possible to play with less players too, but it is not so good - like the old Tremulous.

If you will host a server then gameplay will be affected only in a case that you will have slow internet upload or slow CPU. If you have some common resources then it should be absolutely ok.

Offline Aldanno #4 on: October 23, 2019, 12:36:34 PM

• View Profile
    • Awards
Did you guys try to schedule these play sessions, Rotacak?

Offline Rotacak #5 on: October 23, 2019, 01:32:58 PM

• Administrator
  • Hero
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Did you guys try to schedule these play sessions, Rotacak?
I am really not good at sheduling some play sessions and seeking players for it.